[Openib-windows] a documentation lack

Fabian Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Tue Sep 26 09:41:14 PDT 2006

Hi Leonid,

On 9/26/06, Leonid Keller <leonid at mellanox.co.il> wrote:

> Hi Fab,
> We've come across a bug in a user application, which made an ib_query
> request, but didn't return the mad by ib_put_mad, which in turn caused a
> stuck on ib_close_al.
> The source of the problem is IMO in that, that this requirement was not
> stated in the description of ib_query.

That's because ib_query doesn't actually provide the MAD to the user.
The MAD is provided via the query callback, which passes to the user a
ib_query_rec_t structure as its only parameter.  The documentation for
the ib_query_rec_t structure states:

* NOTES
*	A query result structure is returned to a client through their
*	ib_pfn_query_cb_t routine to notify them of the results of a subnet
*	administration query.  If the query was successful or received an error
*	from the subnet administrator, p_result_mad will reference a MAD element
*	containing the results.  The MAD referenced by p_result_mad is owned by
*	the user and remains available even after their callback returns.  Users
*	must call ib_put_mad() to return the MAD element back to the access layer
*	when they are done accessing the results.
*