[Openib-windows] zero copy transfer for XP

Tzachi Dar tzachid at mellanox.co.il
Wed Jan 24 13:40:34 PST 2007

For windows XP we do have SDP support.
Actually SDP is being supported on windows xp / windows server 2003 for their 32 bits version and their 64 bits version.
Currently our SDP doesn't have zero copy but standard benchmarks show maximum BW in one direction of 1300 MB/sec and latency of 7 us in Ping-Pong tests.
This numbers have been achieved on 64 bits systems, but even on XP 32 bit systems we were able to measure BW of more than 1100 MB/sec.
Although this is not zero copy, this BW is achieved using only one processor, so on a typical machine today that has more than one core, you can enjoy the BW and still have one (or more) processors free for doing other work.

Please note that the performance of SDP as well as stability have improved since we have last worked with SilverStorm.
I believe that creating a program with normal socket API, will be much easier than working with DAPL, and you can have your program ready much faster.
Currently our SDP supports all major socket API including send, recv, WSASend, WSARecv, (all completion methods including synchronous, overlapped , a function call, an event or completion ports).

My experience show that the limiting factor for BW is the memory speed, and with new computers that are shipped today this memory is high enough for almost any demand. If you want I can send you a program that will allow you to measure the true performance of your machine and will give you a good estimation of the BW that you can achieve.