[ofw] some WinOF questions

Smith, Stan stan.smith at intel.com
Wed Nov 7 11:47:19 PST 2007

> Am I wrong? Is there some way I can use SDP in WinOF? How can I do
> that?

Microsoft requires those who distribute SDP to sign a license with MS
concerning IP rights of SDP.
Since WinOF is open-source MS has declined to offer an SDP licensing
option, therefore SDP is not part of WinOF (Windows OpenFabrics which is
based on the openib-windows src tree).

On the other hand, Mellanox has signed a licensing agreement with MS and
therefore distributes SDP as part of their WinIB stack which is also
based on the openIB-windows src plus Mellanox value add.

The WinOF answer to missing SDP is WSD (Winsock Direct Provider) which
from the user's perspective provides similar utilization of InfiniBand
hardware as does SDP.

Within the Linux world, connected mode IPoIB approaches or in some cases
surpasses SDP performance.
Connected mode IPoIB is appearing on the WinOF 2008 horizon.

Stan.