[ofw] what's up with the OFA Windows project?

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Feb 5 16:24:15 PST 2008

>I'm curious how changes that are in an open source tree are "not usable"
>by others? Everything contributed is covered by the BSD license, which
>gives pretty much unrestricted use. Are you saying there are
>contributions that are not covered by the BSD license? And those people
>using the OpenFabrics source tree for commercial uses will have to
>filter those parts out?

I'm not referring to a company taking the code and layering some sort of value
add on top of it, or even having their own stack.  I'm referring to code that is
marketed as being 'OpenFabrics'.  Changes are being made to *that* code base
without patches being posted or any discussion held on the changes.  Is
OpenFabrics, as an organization, okay with whatever changes are made to the
software stack without any input to whether those changes should be made or how
they are implemented?

For example, changes were made to the userspace libraries and kernel drivers
that specifically targeted improving Microsoft MPI performance, but were
implemented in such a way that those same optimizations are not available for
other applications.  There was no public discussion on whether the approach
taken was the correct approach, yet the code was silently merged into the
'OpenFabrics' software base.

Should those changes automatically be added to the next release of WinOF?  Is
anyone on this list other than the person who pushed those changes in even aware
that these code changes are occurring?