[ofw] what's up with the OFA Windows project?

Gilad Shainer Shainer at Mellanox.com
Tue Feb 5 16:46:02 PST 2008

> I'm not referring to a company taking the code and layering
> some sort of value add on top of it, or even having their own
> stack.  I'm referring to code that is marketed as being
> 'OpenFabrics'.  Changes are being made to *that* code base
> without patches being posted or any discussion held on the
> changes.  Is OpenFabrics, as an organization, okay with
> whatever changes are made to the software stack without any
> input to whether those changes should be made or how they are
> implemented?
>
> For example, changes were made to the userspace libraries and
> kernel drivers that specifically targeted improving Microsoft
> MPI performance, but were implemented in such a way that
> those same optimizations are not available for other
> applications.  There was no public discussion on whether the
> approach taken was the correct approach, yet the code was
> silently merged into the 'OpenFabrics' software base.

The added code is in place to add support to Microsoft MPI for Windows
HPC Server 2008. Nothing has being silently. All of the maintainers on
OFW are aware and have review the code. The purpose of the code is as I
have wrote above, and we can have a discussion on having this interface
being used by other applications or not. There is no known plan to
re-design the stack or to support multiple stacks. The intend is to make
no changes to current ULP or to add extra support in order to make sure
current applications will continue to work.

> Should those changes automatically be added to the next
> release of WinOF?  Is anyone on this list other than the
> person who pushed those changes in even aware that these code
> changes are occurring?

Thanks for the positive approach. YES