possible rkey byteswap (was Re: [ofw] what's up withtheOFAWindows project?)

frank zago fzago at systemfabricworks.com
Thu Feb 7 09:13:18 PST 2008

Sean Hefty wrote:
>> Is interoperation between Linux big- and little-endian broken?
>> If so, who can push the fix to the Linux code?
>>

> I don't believe anything is broken wrt RKeys.  The verb APIs between Linux and
> Windows are different.  The user of the APIs needs to be aware of the
> differences and program to those APIs accordingly.

Both systems indeed have different handling of rkey, which are fine as
long as they stay in their own world.

But it's not good when you want to interoperate. You'll end-up having
code in your applications trying to do some black magic to decide what
format should it send the rkey to the remote side. IMO that's bad and
that should be fixed. Applications shouldn't have to be aware of these
details.

I believe each IB stack should give rkey in net order, and accept them
in net order.

Frank.