[ofw] [owf][patch] user multicast offload support

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Wed Jul 2 08:38:04 PDT 2008

>This leads me back to my original suggestion of simply having a

>parameter on the join multicast group that indicates if the QP should be

>attached.  This is way simpler and moves the complexity of determining

>when to attach to the ULP, where it belongs.

Multicast group opened from user mode is always attached. Attachment of groups
from IPoIB depends on whether same group was attached previously from user mode.
IPoIB does not know this.

There's something fundamentally wrong with this approach.  You're moving policy
into the verb layer to determine if a request from a kernel client should or
should not attach its QP to the multicast group.  The communication of this
policy needs to be between ipoib and the application that doesn't want it to
attach.