[ofw] RE: Release IBA resources in DISPATCH_LEVEL ?

Leonid Keller leonid at mellanox.co.il
Sun Jun 15 02:08:09 PDT 2008

> The only reason waiting is needed is because the driver implementation
forces it.
Generally, you are right, but it's a bit more complicated then that.
There are dependencies between the commands, which can cause problems in
fully asynchronous work with the card.
E.g., destroy_qp and destroy_cq: you have to check in driver whether you
may issue destroy_cq or you have to delay it till the completion of a
destroy_qp, which is still in the air.
That's why in Linux HCA drivers the command interface is also
synchronous.

Leonid Keller
Mellanox Technologies LTD.
SW- Windows
Phone: +972 (4) 909 7200 (ext 372)
Mobile: +972 (54) 464 7702
E-mail: leonid at mellanox.co.il

Emails belong on computers, trees belong in forests; if you must print
this, do it on recycled paper.
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/