[ofw] end trunk merges

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Fri May 2 13:44:12 PDT 2008

I think we need to completely end merging branches into the trunk.  All changes
to the trunk should be separate patches that have been submitted to the list,
reviewed, modified based on review feedback, and *only once all concerns have
been addressed* submitted.  And, yes, this may mean that a patch needs to be
completely re-written.

Merged branches show up in the log as a single commit.  This makes it difficult
to view the actual history of the changes, and to rollback specific patches that
may cause problems.  Additionally, the merges are modifying files and drivers
without their maintainers having signed off on all of the changes.