[ofw] Programatically checking Infiniband performance counters

Hal Rosenstock hrosenstock at xsigo.com
Sun May 4 09:16:45 PDT 2008

Moshe,

On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 15:46 +0300, Moshe Haim wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>

> I have a few additional questions:
>
> Looking at the ib_port_counters_t structure I see several fields.
>
> The port_xmit_data looks like transferred the data in bytes divided by
> 4 – however, it is only 32 bit so it fills up very fast (after 16GB).

Yes; so either the polling needs to account for this or use optional
extended 64 bit counters if they are supported.

> The port_xmit_pkts looks like transferred data in 1KB packets

Just a packet count; nothing related to packet size.

>  – so it fills up more slowly:

Yes.

> 1. Can I rely on the packet size being 1KB – if not where can I find
> the packet size definition.

No; the packets are all different sizes depending on the protocols being
used.

> 2. How can I reset the counters to 0? I tried using ib_local_mad with
> setting the port_xmit_pkts/port_xmit_data to 0 and use mad->method =
> IB_MAD_METHOD_SET but that doesn’t seem to work…
> I need this since I expect to run for long periods of time and even
> the port_xmit_pkts will hit its limit.

Did you set PortSelect and CounterSelect ?

> Last but not least, is there any plan to add performance counters in
> windows for WinOF in the future?

In general, there can only be one performance manager owning a node's
performance counters (assuming they are going to do resets as above).
PerfMgrs come bundled in a number of different SMs. A more recent OpenSM
than what is current in Windows has this as do most if not all vendor
SMs.

-- Hal