[ofw] RE: [patch] fix_partitioning_support_in_xp_inf.patch

Fab Tillier ftillier at windows.microsoft.com
Wed Sep 10 10:11:15 PDT 2008

> Hi Stan,
>
> The main idea behind the id change was to differentiate between primary
> adapter for each port and partitions. It was in netipoib since the
> partitions support was added but missed in ipoib-xp32.inf
>
> At the time when installer runs, partitions are not configured.
> Therefore it is ok that installer sets up only primary adapters
> IBA\IPOIB.

I don't understand why the hardware ID would change based on partition.  The device didn't change, the driver didn't change...  I can understand adding the partition key to the unique ID, but not to the HW ID.  Keeping the default partition key out of the unique ID also means that someone can upgrade drivers without losing the settings for the NIC (otherwise it shows up as a new NIC).  So I'd like to see IBA\IPoIB remain the HW ID for at a minimum the default partition (primary).