[ofw] RE: more info on kernel winverbs interface

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Wed Apr 29 16:49:33 PDT 2009

>The idea of having a winverbs kernel interface was brought up at the last WWG
>call.  I just wanted to get more information on the request.

I haven't seen any feedback on the mail list for this, and I'd like to
understand the long term goal and users better before spending too much time on
this.

It should be possible to provide a kernel level winverbs interface.  Such an
interface would be derived from the userspace winverbs interface, but using the
winsock kernel interface as a guide.  Support for 'verbs' only calls is probably
doable within a WinOF 2.2 timeframe.  Support for CM related calls would take
longer.

I'm not sure, but I think the IWVProvider interfaces would be eliminated in the
kernel.  All calls would be bound to a specific device.  This means that kernel
level RDMA CM support would differ from userspace or Linux in that wildcard
listens would not be directly supported.