[ofw] RE: HPC server 2008 IPoIB disrupts compute node Windows Update service?

Smith, Stan stan.smith at intel.com
Mon Aug 3 17:05:21 PDT 2009

Fab Tillier wrote:
> Hi Stan,

I too would have thought the network stack would figure it out...?

Distinct subnets Private @ [192.168.10.x] IPoIB @ [192.168.1.x} although the netmask is the same 255.255.255.0.
What values do you use for your NETMASKs on cluster interfaces?

Interface ordering could be a problem.
I'll try reordering the interface access order from IPoIB, Private, Enterprise --> Private, Enterprise, IPoIB.
Per chance do you know of a cmd line utility which does this in lieu of running the Network Interface Mgmt GUI?

> If you uninstall the HPC Pack from the compute node, does the problem
> persist or go away?

Have not tried this larger hammer; yet.

> A netmon trace for the outbound traffic for both the IPoIB and
> non-IPoIB cases would likely shed a lot of light on the issue.
>
>> We do not see the Windows update service problems when WinOF/IPoIB is
>> installed on vanilla server 2008 or 2008/R2?
>
> Do you also have the NAT in place in this scenario, on only the
> Ethernet network and not IPoIB?

No NAT in this case.