[ofw] RE: HPC server 2008 IPoIB disrupts compute node Windows Update service?

Fab Tillier ftillier at microsoft.com
Tue Aug 4 09:21:44 PDT 2009

Ok, your netmask would indicate that both NICs are on the same subnet, which they aren't.

Set your subnet mask to 255.255.1.0, or 255.255.254.0 should both fix this.  The first will ignore the upper 7 bits of the third byte of the address, while the second will ignore the lower bit of the third byte of the address.

Give that a whirl and let me know if the problem goes away.  I would expect it to.

> Interface ordering could be a problem.

Probably only because of the subnet mask.

> I'll try reordering the interface access order from IPoIB, Private,
> Enterprise --> Private, Enterprise, IPoIB.
> Per chance do you know of a cmd line utility which does this in lieu of
> running the Network Interface Mgmt GUI?

I don't, sorry.  But fix the netmask first, as you have distinct subnets.