[ofw] Support boot device in IB stack?

Tzachi Dar tzachid at mellanox.co.il
Wed Feb 11 00:55:29 PST 2009

Hi James,

As for 1,3 this are technical changes that can easily be done.

Issue #2 seems much more problematic to me.
First I must say that I haven't studied the topic thoroughly, so I might
be getting a wrong impression of the entire issue.
One more thing to start with, is that I'm not sure that this request is
a must. What I mean by that is that booting will take place just fine.
The one thing that will not work is creating a crash dump file later.

In any case, spinlocks don't really have a problem with higher IRQL (the
way I understand it), but many other commands have. So if the code is
only trying to send/receive data with qps that are open I guess that
things should work. Trying to open new QPs will not work (we have to
wait). Please also note that there are only about 5 commands that can be
called from IRQL>DISPATCH_LEVEL.

Can you please send a reference to the document that says what are the
demands after the system has crashed?

Another question is this, will booting using iSCSI be a better option
for you? (not that it was done using ipoib).