[ofw][patch][WinVerbs tests] Re: fix IPv6relatedconnectionproblem

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Feb 24 10:26:28 PST 2009

>This patch solves one part of the problem but not all of it:
>Reducing the time that it takes to do the measurements helps, but you
>have to remove it *twice*.

Hmm... only removing the time once is how long the ping-pong is actually taking.
The fact that the remote side is slow to respond happens to be taken into
account.  I guess we need to remove the timing from the server side, so that
only one side is taking the measurements.

>Also a good approach is what we had before:
>Send()
>Time()
>Receive()

I don't like this.  It's timing loops, not ping-pong time.  The timed receive is
not a response to the timed send.  It will provide a reasonable average, but the
histogram isn't valid, and neither is the reported minimum or typical time.  We
might as well only timestamp how long the entire loop takes and report a single
average.  Then it's clear what's being calculated.

As a debugging tool, I think the histogram could be useful, so I'm inclined to
try to keep it.