[ofw] Adding Performance Counters support for WinOF

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Jan 13 10:26:26 PST 2009

>1. What is WinMad driver?

It is a windows based driver and corresponding library that provides userspace
access the the IB MAD services using a Windows designed API.  I.e. COM interface
with overlapped I/O.  (There's not a whole lot to it.)  However, it is designed
to support the behavior wanted by libibumad.

>2. From what I understand libibmad and libibumad are linux binaries for
>some of the functionalities - could you please explain to me what are
>the functionalities (high level) of each binary (from functionality
>standpoint)? Are they already ported to windows platform?

These libraries are already ported.  On Linux, libibumad is the library that
interfaces with the kernel MAD module, making it the lowest level library.  On
Windows, the same interface is provided, but it's implemented to call the winmad
library.

libibmad is an abstraction/helper library that calls libibumad.  The ib-diags
executables interface to this library.

Note that libibumad provides the same interface on windows and linux, but does
not share any implementation.  The goal for libibmad and the diags is to share
the code base, rather than fork the implementations.

The diag that I think you're wanting ported is perfquery, which is not yet done.
(Most of the porting deals with compiler differences.)  If you have access to
the Linux ib diags you could look at the ib-diags that are available and let us
know if one of them would meet your needs.

>3. When talking about ib-diags, from what I understood from my manager
>(he did the linux version of my product), it's a sort of script-like way
>of retrieving relevant information - how would the Windows ib-diags look
>like (DLL, Service, script...)?

The diags are a collection of scripts and executables.  We're porting the
executables now.  We haven't decided what to do with the scripts.  If a script
simply parses the output of another program, we may not bother porting it.

>4. Is there some detailed description of the tasks to be completed for
>the ib-diags support, what is completed and what is yet to be done? (I'd
>appreciate as much information as possible).

The only description of what's been done are patches that have been posted to
the winof and general mailing lists regarding the porting of libibmad and a few
of the diags.  (We ported the simplest diags first to kick off the whole process
of having the ib management code support both windows and linux.)  Arlin's
updating the patches and should be reposting them soon.

>5. Isn't the opensm already ported? Whenever I install WinOF I have the
>option to select "opensm service started"?

opensm was ported, but the implementation forked.  As a result, there have been
a huge number of changes and improvements made to the Linux version of opensm
that are not part of the Windows version.  I'd guess that the Windows version of
opensm is about 2 years behind that of Linux.