[ofw] Re: [ofa-general] RE: complib and cl_nodenamemap

Ira Weiny weiny2 at llnl.gov
Fri Mar 6 10:56:48 PST 2009

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 10:45:30 -0800
"Sean Hefty" <sean.hefty at intel.com> wrote:

> >Basically yes. But we need to find some acceptable solution first which
> >will be better than how it is implemented now.
>
> One possibility is to link the calls directly.  This is the same as calls in
> ibdiag_common.c.  Functions like ibdiag_process_opts() are used in more places
> than cl_nodenamemap, but they are still not part of any library.  This is the
> simplest solution for now.

Do you mean via a static library?  Since the calls are used in 2 packages
opensm and infiniband-diags, you will have to have a library somewhere to
preserve building the packages separately; as RedHat and we do.

> An alternative is to abstract the needed functionality in such a way that it's
> usable not just by the IB management code, but other potential users as well.
> This requires more engineering effort.
>
> My personal preference is to link the calls in directly, then decide later what,
> if anything, should be done with code shared between all the IB management
> applications.

Shared code, across the different packages, must be in a library somewhere.
Since ibcommon was being deprecated at the time (and is gone now) complib was
the "logical" place to put this code.  :-(

Ira