[ofw] What is the current support level for QoS in WinOF?

Diego Guella diego.guella at sircomtech.com
Wed Mar 25 02:03:37 PDT 2009

Hi Hal,

>From: "Hal Rosenstock"
>On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 3:34 AM, Diego Guella wrote:
>>> From: "Sean Hefty"
>>> You may be able to use the OFED opensm to achieve some level of QoS,
>>> depending
>>> on how you want things separated. If you can separate QoS based on HCA
>>> ports,
>>> you might have more success than trying to separate different applications
>>> running on the same HCA port.
>>
>> I do have urgent time-sensitive traffic, and non-urgent traffic.
>> The urgent traffic and the non-urgent traffic is generated from different
>> hosts.
>> I would like to differentiate them by using different SL, then configure QoS
>> to give maximum priority to the urgent time-sensitive traffic, and minimum
>> priority to the non-urgent traffic.
>
>If you are expecting the SL to come from OpenSM, it would be best to
>use the Linux OpenSM and likely the QoS Annex support but I don't know
>enough about what you have in mind in terms of the end node Windows
>ULPs and whether they use RDMA CM and/or CM or bypass them.

I forgot to mention: I am using plain verbs. (Actually, I'm using IBAL).
Connection estabilishment is done like in the ibv_pingpong_rc examples: communicating LID, QPN, ... data over sockets.

I forgot to mention that I am new to QoS too.
I think I can achieve urgent vs non-urgent traffic distinction by using 2 QPs, and setting different SLs to these QPs, in the
INIT->RTR transition.
Are there other ways to "mark" some traffic as high-priority vs low-priority?

Thanks for your help,
Diego