[ofw] Win2008 - X64 - WinOF_2-1-RC4_wlh_x64.zip installer question

Smith, Stan stan.smith at intel.com
Mon Sep 14 08:37:23 PDT 2009

Hello,

Sivaselvam Narayanasamy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a question on Win2008-x64 system having the ConnectX (
> MT25418) - Mellanox ConnectX DDR Channel Adapter !
>
> When I install the latest v2.1 RC4 installer "RC4
> WinOF_2-1-RC4_wlh_x64.zip",  thought the install goes fine, I find
> only " mlx4_bus.sys" gets installed in the "system32\drivers"
> directory.  I do NOT find the other drivers viz.
> ibbus.sys, ipoib.sys, mlx4_hca.sys get installed.   These drivers are
> available though in the "c:\Program Files (x86)\WinOF\Drivers" folder.
> Naturally I don't get the LAN adapter objects created since IPoIB is
> not there.

Often this is the case when the Mellanox HCA firmware is outdated.
Look in the Windows 'system' event log and I'm guessing you will find mlx4_bus.sys
Events which indicate the firmware is outdated.
If so, you need to download Mellanox firmware burning tools from the Mellanox.com website.
Use flint to print the PSID in order to know which firmware package to download.
Driver loading is now controlled by Windows PNP, so if the mlx4_bus driver does not 'completely load' then no HCA driver is requested along with ipoib driver.
Ibbus.sys is now a filter driver and is loaded when mlx4_hca.sys is loaded.

> But when I install the  v2.0.2 installer "WinOF_2-0-2_wlh_x64.zip", I
> don't have any issue and everything gets installed fine.  This
> installer specifically gives option to choose the right Mellanox
> driver "Infinihost" or "ConnectX", but I don't see any such option
> available in the latest v2.1 installer. I did install all the core
> modules.
>
> Am I missing something here ?

Yes - see release notes & RC* announcements. Bottom-line: Windows PNP is now in control of driver loading. All the WinOF installer does is populate the PNP driver store.
You no longer are required to specify which Mellanox HCA driver, PNP does this for you.