[ofw] ib-diags: compatability issue with ibstat

Hal Rosenstock hal.rosenstock at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 06:28:34 PDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Hefty, Sean <sean.hefty at intel.com> wrote:
> commit 1344cb3feacafc462440dabfa5997c5205486d83 added support for FDR10 in a way that is not compatible with Windows support.  Windows does not use files to read attribute information.
>
> I will probably need to obtain the necessary information using ibverbs on windows by reading port attributes.  I don't think FDR10 support is available through ibverbs on linux yet, but would this be acceptable?  Is there some other way that you'd like to handle this?  The other option I can think of is moving is_fdr10() and sys_read_string() out of ibstat.c and into a linux specific file, so that windows can provide its own implementation.  Thoughts?

I think there are 2 (related but somewhat separate) issues here:
1. How to obtain is_fdr10
2. Whether ibverbs should be used for this (in windows, linux, both)

The only way to determine whether fdr10 is active or not is via the
vendor proprietary MAD. That info may be reflected in some other API
(and/or file) so that MAD does not need to be reissued. In a separate
thread on linux-rdma, there was discussion on a couple of different
ways to do that from verbs and in this thread that there's no sysfs
equivalent in Windows. You've already stated that the Windows support
is using libibverbs for libibumad support so it seems appropriate to
me to do the same here (in Windows at least).

-- Hal