[Users] Mixing 10 GbE and IB

Ira Weiny weiny2 at llnl.gov
Thu Nov 15 08:01:54 PST 2012

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 16:35:31 +0100
Philipp Thomas <pth at suse.de> wrote:

> In a setup with two Mellanox cards one is used as 10 GbE card and the other
> for FDR infiniband. If the card used as 10 GbE card is recognized first
> (which is mostly the case), all infiniband tools (including OpenSM) fail to
> recognize that this is *not* the IB card. You can of cause tell the tools
> via commandline switch which card to use but that paramenter is not
> consistent across the tools.
>
> Is there another way so solve the problem?

Unfortunately no.  However, since version 1.6.0 of the diags there is a config file where you can specify the HCA name/port to be used by default.  (/etc/infiniband-diags/ibdiag.conf on my RHEL system.)  This should help.

I toyed with the idea of a patch to libibumad to skip ethernet links but QP1 is still valid on these ports and things like perfquery work.

To me it seems pointless to support IB MAD packets on ethernet links but that is the way things currently are so to keep as much functionality in the diags as possible I have left it in.

Ira