[Users] interpreting ibdiagnet output

Ira Weiny weiny2 at llnl.gov
Tue Sep 18 15:26:50 PDT 2012

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:36:03 -0500
John Valdes <valdes at anl.gov> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 02:45:51PM -0700, Ira Weiny wrote:
> > Narayan Desai <narayan.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I found some reference to ipoib at speeds greater than 10 gbits
> > > requiring some manual setup in opensm; is this still the case?
> >
> > Could you point me to the reference?  I just want to see what it is referring to.
>
> Don't know if this is where Narayan saw it, but in the opensm(8)
> manpage, under the "PARTITION CONFIGURATION" section, it says:
>
>        [...]
>        General file format:
>
>        <Partition Definition>:<PortGUIDs list> ;
>
>        Partition Definition:
>
>        [PartitionName][=PKey][,flag[=value]][,defmember=full|limited]
>
>        [...]
>        Currently recognized flags are:
>
>         ipoib       - indicates that this partition may be used for IPoIB, as
>                       result IPoIB capable MC group will be created.
>         rate=<val>  - specifies rate for this IPoIB MC group
>                       (default is 3 (10GBps))
>
> The fact that it says the default rate=3 (10GBps--I assume that's
> "bits") to me implies that IPoIB runs at 10 gbits unless configured
> otherwise in the opensm's partition.conf file, as Narayan says.  Is
> this true?  Or is it true for versions of OpenSM < N, for some value
> of N?  Is there any way (eg, some IB diag command to run), other than
> running a network benchmark, to determine the configured rate for
> IPoIB?

saquery can query the MCast groups.

saquery -g
saquery MCMR

These give slightly different output for historical reasons.

NOTE: "rate" returned is actually 2 fields (RateSelector (2bits) followed by Rate (6bits).  RateSelector is always 0x2 in a response.[$]

>From these groups you need to ID which groups are for IPoIB.  The IPoIB rfc defines ff12:401b:: and ff12:601b:: as the prefixes for link local groups for IPv4 and IPv6 respectively.[*]  IPv4 has a special case group for broadcast: ff12:401b:<P_key>::ffff:ffff

Ira

[*] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4391#section-4
[$] IBTA Volume 1 v1.2.1 section 15.2.5.17