[Users] Centos 6.4 support

Samantha Jian-Pielak samantha.jian-pielak at canonical.com
Fri May 24 17:03:56 PDT 2013

On 05/24/2013 03:43 PM, Narayan Desai wrote:
> I don't have a problem with the packages I have in my ppa being coped
> to the ofa-ofed one. What is the long term plan for maintenance of these?
I think having a Launchpad project and team/ppa for OFED is good for two
use cases. 1, for developers to check out the latest code and who can't
wait for it to be available in debian/unstable or ubuntu/universe, and
2, for people who want to check out the latest code on a specific
version of Ubuntu, such as the current LTS 12.04. Given the differences
in release cadences, I think these two use cases will remain true until
all software projects from various companies have the same release
cadence. This is a community project and should be maintained by the
community developers/users. It's set up so people can report issues or
requests via Launchpad and all what comes out of it will be easily
(relatively) known to the community by going to a central LP project
rather than digging into mailing list archive/mailing someone who you
think might know/googling. I myself do not have a long term plan for
maintenance, but it's been on my todo list to help with packaging in my
spare time. I am putting my Ubuntu community hat on, not the Canonical
hat.

> My big question is whether i keep my archive active or not;
If we start pushing packages to this LP team ppa, advertising it and
directing people to use the packages in the PPA, if I were you, I would
push the packages here so that I get more testing on those packages.
> I think that really depends on what the canonical plans are for ofed.
> I'm not sure if you guys will want everything, or will be keeping up
> to date aggressively or not.
Canonical is the commercial entity behind Ubuntu, it needs commercial
incentives to back up the engineering resources it requires to support
official support for OFED, and we haven't seen enough to break the
threshold.

> Also, since mellanox is starting to release bits for ubuntu, how will
> those fit in?
I don't know the details. I'd assume that particular version of packages
are tested against Mellanox cards on particular Ubuntu releases. This
provides the assurance to the Mellanox customers. I think they could use
this Launchpad platform to get more testing feedback before the release.
Just my 2 cents.

Samantha