[Users] Ubuntu problems with QLogic InfiniPath QMH7342

Andrei Mikhailovsky andrei at arhont.com
Sun May 26 06:36:23 PDT 2013

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone come across the problem I am having with getting QLogic InfiniPath_QMH7342 to work in Ubuntu 12.04/12.10/13.04?

Basically, this is one of the HP blade server mezzanine cards which are connected to a HP/QLogic blade switch. I am having problems with this card using stock kernel modules and infiniband tools that I've downloaded from Roland Dreier Ubuntu PPA. I have tried to use this ppa with Mellanox IB card and it seems to work without any issues.

My problem with QLogic card is it doesn't seem to connect; the port state is always PORT_DOWN and whenever I try to check the discovery tools I get the following error:

# iblinkinfo
ibwarn: [6953] mad_rpc_open_port: can't open UMAD port ((null):0)
Failed to open (null) port 0

root at arh-cloud11:~# ibnetdiscover
src/query_smp.c:228; can't open UMAD port ((null):0)
ibnetdiscover: iberror: failed: discover failed

perfquery -D 0 1
ibwarn: [7078] mad_rpc_open_port: can't open UMAD port ((null):0)
perfquery: iberror: failed: Failed to open '(null)' port '0'

I have loaded the following modules:

ib_umad 21995 0
ib_ipoib 77506 0
ib_addr 14109 0
ib_ucm 22532 0
ib_uverbs 42317 1 ib_ucm
ib_cm 42652 2 ib_ucm,ib_ipoib
ib_sa 33626 2 ib_cm,ib_ipoib
ib_qib 370883 0
ib_mad 47103 4 ib_cm,ib_sa,ib_qib,ib_umad
ib_core 78409 8 ib_cm,ib_sa,ib_mad,ib_qib,ib_ucm,ib_umad,ib_uverbs,ib_ipoib
rdma_ucm 22277 0
rdma_cm 43182 1 rdma_ucm

The card itself is recognised when i run:

ibv_devinfo
hca_id: qib0
transport: InfiniBand (0)
fw_ver: 0.0.0
node_guid: 0011:7500:0079:65b4
sys_image_guid: 0011:7500:0079:65b4
vendor_id: 0x1175
vendor_part_id: 29474
hw_ver: 0x2
board_id: InfiniPath_QMH7342
phys_port_cnt: 1
port: 1
state: PORT_DOWN (1)
max_mtu: 4096 (5)
active_mtu: 4096 (5)
sm_lid: 65535
port_lid: 65535
port_lmc: 0x00
link_layer: InfiniBand

and

ibv_devinfo
hca_id: qib0
transport: InfiniBand (0)
fw_ver: 0.0.0
node_guid: 0011:7500:0079:65b4
sys_image_guid: 0011:7500:0079:65b4
vendor_id: 0x1175
vendor_part_id: 29474
hw_ver: 0x2
board_id: InfiniPath_QMH7342
phys_port_cnt: 1
port: 1
state: PORT_DOWN (1)
max_mtu: 4096 (5)
active_mtu: 4096 (5)
sm_lid: 65535
port_lid: 65535
port_lmc: 0x00
link_layer: InfiniBand

and

ibstatus
Infiniband device 'qib0' port 1 status:
default gid: fe80:0000:0000:0000:0011:7500:0079:65b4
base lid: 0xffff
sm lid: 0xffff
state: 1: DOWN
phys state: 3: Disabled
rate: 40 Gb/sec (4X QDR)
link_layer: InfiniBand

I am aware that the port state is shown as DOWN, which usually indicates that there is no physical link. However, as this card is a mezz card connected to a blade switch, the link should be there. Plus, If I use CentOS on this server with OFED tools i do get a link and the cards work okay (apart from initial delay with the link). So, there seems to be a software issue rather than a hardware issue I think.

Any help would be highly valuable

Andrei