[Users] RDMA capabilities for HTTP

Matheus Eduardo Bonifacio Morais matheus_morais at sicredi.com.br
Mon Oct 21 08:22:20 PDT 2013

Hi Narayan,

The requests in general are pretty small, but there are thousands of
GET and POST requests per second on the web server. It's a SOA kind of
environment with BPEL orchestration which call many web services to
execute a process.

I don't know too much about tuning IPoIB. Do you recommend some
documentation about that specific subject?

Thanks for your reply!

Em 19-10-2013 19:56, Narayan Desai escreveu:
> Can you say a little bit more about the communication workload of
> this application? Is it lots of small requests, bulk data
> transfers, or something else?
>
> FWIW, if you are trying to move a lot of data across IPoIB, you
> should make sure that it is properly tuned. (probably a switch to
> connected mode, and bumping up the MTU would help in that case)
> -nld
>

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Matheus Eduardo Bonifacio Morais
> <matheus_morais at sicredi.com.br
> <mailto:matheus_morais at sicredi.com.br>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a distributed system that makes heavy use of web services,
> which rely on HTTP protocol, and I was wondering if it's possible
> to use RDMA techniques to improve the performance of these system.
> Searching into the web I found some academic works about
> accelerating web protocols using iWARP [1,2] but, I can't find any
> concrete implementation of that kind of application.
>
> Right now I have an InfiniBand infrastructure but it's impossible
> to have the RDMA gains because web services uses IPoIB and at the
> end of the day, the latency and bandwidth is almost the same as
> ethernet.
>
> Is there anyone in this list which have experiences running an web
> service based system using the RDMA capabilities and want to share
> some information?
>
> There is some work ongoing in the direction of bring the RDMA
> gains over HTTP? (I don't even know if this is possible/pratical.)
>
> Sorry if those are silly questions but I'm just entering in this
> "RDMA world". :)
>
> Thanks.
>
> [1] -
> http://im45cf90sw.osc.edu/files/research/network_file/projects/rdma/downloads/nca07_paper.pdf