[Users] Weird IPoIB issue

Robert LeBlanc robert_leblanc at byu.edu
Mon Oct 28 09:19:00 PDT 2013

OpenSM (the SM runs on Xsigo so they manage it) is using minhop. I've
loaded the ibnetdiscover output into ibsim and run all the different
routing algorithms against it with and without scatter ports. Minhop had
50% of our hosts running all paths through a single IS5030 switch (at least
the LIDs we need which represent Ethernet and Fibre Channel cards the hosts
should communicate with). Ftree, dor, and dfsssp failed back to minhop, the
others routed more paths through the same IS5030 in some cases increasing
our host count with single point of failure to 75%.

As far as I can tell there is no partitions.conf file so I assume we are
using the default partition. There is an opensm.opts file, but it only
specifies logging information.
# SA database file name
sa_db_file /var/log/opensm-sa.dump

# If TRUE causes OpenSM to dump SA database at the end of
# every light sweep, regardless of the verbosity level
sa_db_dump TRUE

# The directory to hold the file OpenSM dumps
dump_files_dir /var/log/

The SM node is:
xsigoa:/opt/xsigo/xsigos/current/ofed/etc# ibaddr
GID fe80::13:9702:100:979 LID start 0x1 end 0x1

We do have Switch-X in two of the Dell m1000e chassis but the cards, ports
17-32, are FDR10 (the switch may be straight FDR, but I'm not 100% sure).
The IS5030 are QDR which the Switch-X are connected to, the switches in the
Xsigo directors are QDR, but the Ethernet and Fibre Channel cards are DDR.
The DDR cards will not be running IPoIB (at least to my knowledge they
don't have the ability), only the hosts should be leveraging IPoIB. I hope
that clears up some of your questions. If you have more, I will try to
answer them.

Robert LeBlanc
OIT Infrastructure & Virtualization Engineer
Brigham Young University