[Users] Infiniband / OFED on recent kernels?

Danilo Godec danilo.godec at agenda.si
Tue Sep 10 01:15:44 PDT 2013

Hello,

I'm new to Infiniband (and OFED software), as I recenlty got some (2nd
hand) Infiniband hardware:

- 1 Flextronix 24-port IB switch
- two dual-port Mellanox MT25208 InhiniHost III Ex
- a couple of QLogic IBA6120 single port HCA's for clients

What I intend to do with that is:

Two servers with dual-port Mellanox HCA will act as DRBD members, using
one IB port to interconnect (for DRBD sync), while the other IB port
will be connected to the switch, 'presenting' DRBD resources to other
servers (probably using iSCSI, but not quite sure about that). Other
servers will mostly be (Xen) virtualization servers  and use presented
DRBD resources as VM storage.

I installed OpenSuSE 12.3 and I see that it already includes HCA drivers
(ib_mthca, ib_qib), IP over IB support (ib_ipoib)  - there is a bunch of
IB related stuff included in the kernel (3.7.10).

Are these up-to-date or would I be better of getting the OFED-3.5
sources and compile from there?

Apart from this kernel level stuff, what else do I need from OFED-3.5 to
actually make it work? OpenSM is probably just one of them and it
doesn't seem to be included in OpenSuSE 12.3.

  Best regards,

  Danilo