[ewg] EWG/OFED meeting minutes for Nov 29, 2011

Tziporet Koren tziporet at mellanox.com
Thu Dec 1 09:42:40 PST 2011

Meeting minutes for EWG/OFED meeting for Nov 29, 2011:

1. OFED 1.5.4:

We have decide that all issues are not critical except for the compilation issue
Rc5 - Thu Dec 1 - was released by Vlad
GA - next Mon - Dec 5

2. Next OFED releases:
We suggest to change the way OFED is build and move to the new direction:
- In the new direction OFED content will be the relevant kernel.org modules and user space released packages (no fixes)
- OFED will offer only backports to the distros
- OFED package will be used for easy installation of all packages in a friendly manner

The main goals of this change is this:
1. Ensure OFED and the kernel are the same
2. Provide customers a way to use the new features in latest kernels on existing distros
3. OFED qualification will contribute to the stability of the upstream code

There was a discussion on this and in general this way seems the right way to go.
Some concerned that were raised :
- Legal - is it OK to take the code from kernel.org
- How to handle experimental features?
- Need to follow up kernel stable
- What should be the names of the releases (can we use the kernel version?)
- Should we have a release for every kernel release
- Need to follow up the stable releases of kernel.org
- What should we do with modules like SDP that are not in kernel?

For more detailed discussion Tziporet & Woody will send a separate mail
Approval for this will be help in the next EWG meeting

Tziporet