[openib-general] DAPL for openib

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Tue Aug 24 07:50:01 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 13:33, Roland Dreier wrote:
> Given the small team that is actually coding,

Yes, it currently does appear to be a small team :-( Maybe it will get
larger once the core is nearer to completion.

> I think we should follow
> a step-by-step approach and focus on getting IPoIB ready for
> submission to the kernel.  I think the pieces we need are:
>
>  - Update verbs to new API (I should finish this week)
>  - Add driver model/sysfs support (I'll start soon)
>  - Finish new MAD API (stalled?)

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this ? Are there API issues (other
than the ones deferred) or is this referring to an implementation to go
with the API ?

>  - Design implement SA multicast/path record queries (not started)
>  - clean up IPoIB driver (not started)

Step by step but not necessarily serialized unless resources dictate
this.

> Once we have that, we can look at userspace MAD access so that OpenSM
> can run on the new stack.  Also the CM API would be a logical next
> step.  I don't think it makes sense to even worry about user verbs
> until we've finished these pieces.

This ordering makes sense to me, At the point there is a (kernel) CM
API, the kernel ULPs are "enabled" (SDP, SRP, kDAPL). Hopefully we can
be more parallelized by then.