[openib-general] OpenIB SWG Face to Face 9/9 Meeting

Matt L. Leininger mlleinin at hpcn.ca.sandia.gov
Fri Sep 10 13:42:15 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 12:37, Woodruff, Robert J wrote:
> Grant wrote, > I've already have high level mgt agreement to fund this.
> >I have temporary funding issues right now but it's not the primary
> problem. Tim Witham
> >(OSDL) at the IB BOF (OLS) was clear he couldn't host OpenIB.org work
> until the "only
> >promoters" SVN policy is changed. Ie folks who've contributed money to
> OpenIB get write
> >access to SVN. Until Tim says he's happy, I don't see any point in
> ordering HW.
>
> Jim, is there anything in the openib.org promoters agreement or bylaws
> that prevents openib.org maintainers from giving others (non-promoters)
> write access to the SVN tree ? If not, then I think that as long as all
> the
> people on the list want to allow someone to have write access, I see
> know
> reason why we could not allow it ?
>
> What do other people think ?

  I'd take a different approach.  If the promoters agreement forbids the
OpenIB SW working group/maintainers from granting write access to
non-promoters, then the agreement is broken and needs to be fixed in the
bylaws.  In the meantime we should start using a policy to grant code
repository write access that makes the most sense for an open source
development project.  If a non-promoters needs write access, and the SW
WG has no problems with the individual requesting write access, then
write access should be granted.

  If I don't hear any strong objections (with good reasons) by Monday
the SW WG can start taking requests for write access to the OpenIB code
repository.

	- Matt