Fwd: Re: [openib-general] static LID computationwithTS_HOST_DRIVER

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Thu Sep 30 16:44:02 PDT 2004

As I mentioned before, I think the best approach in the long run is to
have a well known Loopback LID

(that will stay as an alias also after the port changed its LID, not to
break apps), just like in any other stack

>From a short research I did once I think it is possible to create one
even in the current Mellanox HW leveraging on the Multicast support with
little firmware changes, maybe Mellanox can comment on that

It is also possible to leverage on APM (+ the SMI port change events) if
we don't want to deal with the HCA's

And in any case we want the apps to be able to recover from any RC
failures gracefully (not just LID changes)

Doing manual configuration on each host violates all the idea of zero
configuration and utility computing we all advocate for

Yaron