[openib-general] Re: mpi drop in openib tree

Dhabaleswar Panda panda at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Aug 23 12:43:50 PDT 2005

Michael,

> Quoting Dhabaleswar Panda <panda at cse.ohio-state.edu>:
> > The code has been uploaded after extensive discussions with Matt, Hal,
> > Roland, and Woody. In fact, we followed the steps given by Hal and
> > Roland after personal discussions with them at the OpenIB meeting
> > yesterday.
>
> Well, an announcement wouldnt hurt next time, doing an update
> and getting 100MB was a shock :)

In our earlier e-mail on Sunday to the openib mailing list, we
announced that we are in the process of uploading the new mvapich-gen2
version to the OpenIB SVN and encountering some technical
difficulties. Yesterday, we discussed the SVN upload problem with Hal
and Roland and uploaded the files. We were going to make an
announcement today.

> Do you plan to use openib svn to develop mvapich from now on?
>
> Some questions on the code:
> - Could you please address the question of what looks like binary java libraries
> under ./mpe/slog2sdk? I think we need to have the source, not binaries,
> under subversion.
>
> - ./mpid/nt_server/winmpd does not look like it belongs in linux tree
>
> - Lots of directories have configure files in them. Again, these
>   are generated so I think we shouldnt keep them under version control.

These files belong to Argonne's standard MPICH distribution on which
MVAPICH is based. They have NOT been introduced by us. Since the last
two years, MVAPICH is being distributed as an integrated package with
MPICH so that the end users can download and install it easily and run
it.

Thanks,

DK