[openib-general] RDMA connection and address translation API

Caitlin Bestler caitlinb at broadcom.com
Fri Aug 26 15:31:11 PDT 2005

The closest equivalent of a pkey_index would be the VLAN ID, which
is at L2 and totally transparent to an iWARP QP. You can definitely
post receive buffers before knowing anything about the TCP connection
(or SCTP association/stream) that will provide the LLP service.

> The other option, that was suggested to solve the sync
> problem (need of post receive before connect) is to retrieve
> the path synchronically, which will require an unnecessary
> upcall handling for iwarp consumers.

The generic requirement is that the QP passed to the connect
method is ready to be moved to a connected state as soon as
the connection establishment exchanges have finished.

If I follow what you are proposing, you are trying to find a way
to do this for IB automatically as a by-product of determining what
device to use. I don't see any problem with this, as long as the
"port" being returned from the first call is defined in such a
way that it can have a void value when the transport does not need
this refinement. Avoiding transport-dependent steps is good for
encouraging development of RDMA-aware applications.