[openib-general] IB Address Translation service

Libor Michalek libor at topspin.com
Mon Feb 28 15:45:33 PST 2005

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 03:37:55PM -0800, Tom Duffy wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 21:47 +0200, Yaron Haviv wrote:
> > And as you mentioned there is value to have the same API for different
> > resolution mechanisms, the SDP code can be altered in future to ride
> > over the proposed API, so it can be used without TCP/IP.
>
> I am not sure you are gaining much by having SDP use straight ATS.
> Already, once the ARP table is filled with the information, it is a
> local cached lookup.
>
> Now if the service posted to the SM included the ports that the SDP node
> was listening on, then that would speed up connections, but that would
> no longer be ATS (as defined).

  And it would no longer be SDP. As a drop in replacement for AF_INET
SOCKET_STREAM it requires IP addressing, which ATS is not. Also, caching
which ports are available on a remote node doesn't save you from notifying
the remote node that you are connection to that port, in which case
there's no savings to the caching since you need to contact the remote
node, except in the negative case, but then you have a race condition, etc...

-Libor

-Libor