[openib-general] Re: MMIO reads for IPoIB w/MSI-X

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Mon Jan 24 10:39:46 PST 2005

It is the consensus within the industry that PIO Reads (MMIO) are pure
"evil" and should be avoided in any main line data path including the
interrupt path.  They should be confined to configuration / status / etc.
checks and thus are very infrequent.  Designs that rely upon PIO Reads for
anything in the performance path tend to not succeed that well within the
industry.   This is true across all processor architectures including x86
itself.  The problem only gets worse (not just because of the number of
chip crossings) but also because the amount of cycles stalled as clock
speeds increase.  Some might contend that technology such as multi-thread
or predicted / delayed loads can mitigate this problem but I have yet to
see any real data to support such assertions.  In general, designs need to
avoid using PIO Reads in the main data path period.  I believe most I/O and
system architects from all companies will agree on this point (I also know
that many server IHV will also agree).

Mike