[Rdma-developers] Re: [openib-general] OpenIB and OpenRDMA: Convergence on common RDMA APIs and ULPs for Linux

Venkata Jagana jagana at us.ibm.com
Fri May 27 10:43:33 PDT 2005

rdma-developers-admin at lists.sourceforge.net wrote on 05/27/2005 10:25:36
AM:

> Mike,
>    I am not sure I do understand what your were trying
> to communicate. Let me try and decode this. My basic
> point was to respond to Venkata's response about
> complete offload without any interaction with the host
> system. I disagree with that in its totality as I
> think there are dependencies and that needs to be
> specified in a formal manner, i.e. in the specs, so
> that we do not have multiple proprietary interafaces
> which change and application users have to change this
> consumption based on individual implementations.
>    And you just brought up the reasons why what I was
> saying seemed to be justfied. Did I read that
> correctly?
>
> Thanks
> SG

Hello Sukanta,

Yes, there will be interactions with the host system for an RNIC
but through an interface something similar to RNIC-PI.

The clarification that I was trying to make is that from an RNIC
perspective, it
doesn't have to expose any ToE interface other than the fact that adapters
might be providing
multiple services including ToE, RDMA, iSCSI but that's outside the scope
of an
RNIC interface.

Thanks
Venkat