[openib-general] Announce: preview RPMs for FC-4 and RHEL-4 available

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Thu Nov 17 06:14:59 PST 2005

Thomas Moschny wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 November 2005 02:04, Doug Ledford wrote:
>
>>I have initial RPM support for both of these releases available for
>>use/testing.
>

> Thanks for providing the rpms!
>

>>If you try these out and have any problems, please email me directly
>>(and feel free to Cc: the list) for more immediate responses.
>

> Unfortunately, we got an kernel-oops on ia64 (rhel4) ...
> The boot log is attached.
>
> - Thomas

I think I know what this is.  On any arch where sizeof(int) !=
sizeof(void *) the kernel version on my site would oops.  The kernel you
tested was one where I was in the process of adding kzalloc() to slab.c
so that driver backports would be a bit less painful in the future.
However, I missed adding the function prototype to the include files.
This resulted in a lot of "assignment makes pointer from integer without
a cast" errors anywhere kzalloc was used.  Well, on 64bit arches, you
can't make a full pointer from an integer.  So, I'm thinking that the
oops is the result of a partial conversion from a 32bit int to a 64bit
pointer, even though kzalloc actually returned a 64bit pointer anyway.
The attached patch should be able to be dropped into the existing srpm
in place of the patch with the same name and a rebuild should then solve
the problem, although in the process of creating this patch I had to
move it from the 2700 section of the patch list down to the 10002
position because it touches things added after the infiniband code.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
http://people.redhat.com/dledford