[swg] RE: [openib-general] socket based connectionmodel for IB proposal -round 4

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Tue Nov 29 15:30:04 PST 2005

Kanevsky, Arkady wrote:
> Sean,
> SWG discussed today the extending private data format proposal to
> SIDR_REQ.
> The group does not see the need for it since ULP is no RDMA aware.
> That is ULP does not use RDMA operations.
> Do you have some specific ULP in mind for this functionality?
> For UDP a different IP address can be used for each message. There is no
> persistent connection.

I didn't have any particular ULP in mind.  I was thinking more of a generic
application that wanted to use UDP style addressing over IB, similar to what's
being discussed for using TCP style addressing over IB.

It seems that there needs to be a way to map a given destination address to a
remote QP/qkey.  Regardless if the IP address is carried in each ULP message, it
would still need to be in the SIDR REQ in order to locate the correct QP.

Such a ULP won't use RDMA or atomic operations, but still benefits by having QP
and CQ semantics, such as direct hardware access from userspace and pre-posted
receive buffers, while avoiding the overhead of IP (or IPoIB).  So, I would
consider the application as being "RDMA aware", with "RDMA" hardware defined as
that which provides QP semantics.  I view it similar to applications that sit
over DAPL that do only sends and receives.

In any case, this can be treated as a separate issue than what's being defined
for connections.  It could just be beneficial that if it is ever defined that it
use the same private data format.