[openib-general] Re: iser upstream: further reviews and process towards 2.6.18

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Mon Apr 17 09:00:30 PDT 2006

    Or> Do you find it need/appropriate to post another RFC, this time
    Or> to LKML?

    Or> Also (and related to both reviewes and upstream) iser is
    Or> dependent on two change sets for 2.6.18: first, the cma and
    Or> second, the bunch of 2.6.18 iscsi updates (it is six patches
    Or> from which iser directly is dependent on two, but we prefer to
    Or> treat all the six as needed for iser to compile/work).

    Or> The six iscsi patches were pushed to linux-scsi but are not
    Or> yet in the scsi-misc git tree, they can also be found under
    Or> https://openib.org/svn/gen2/trunk/src/linux-kernel/patches/2.6.17
    Or> it is the 01 to 06 sequence.

    Or> As for the upstream process, i guess each of you and James
    Or> would need to do git pull from the other one into the
    Or> scsi-misc (2.6.18 rdma updates) and the infiniband (2.6.18
    Or> scsi updates) so iser can be compiled with both trees, or at
    Or> least with your tree.

This is typically not the way things are done.  The simplest way would
be to wait for the CMA and the iSCSI patches are all merged by Linus,
which should be right after 2.6.18 opens (assuming the iSCSI patches
make it to scsi-misc in time).  Then either James or I could merge the
iSER changes on top of what's already in Linus's tree.

It's up to you whether you think it's more appropriate to merge iSER
through James's tree or my tree.  In any case, the best way to proceed
would be to post a final set of patches sent To: the maintainer you
want to go through, Cc:ed to linux-kernel, linux-scsi and
openib-general.

If you send it to me, I will put it into an iser branch in my git repo
and merge it onto for-2.6.18 after the iSCSI patches are merged by Linus.
I assume James would handle it the same way (although he would wait
for the CMA patches).

 - R.