[openib-general] [RFC] remove kernel drivers from svn

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Thu Apr 20 09:39:56 PDT 2006

    Bob> I don't have a problem moving from SVN to something like git
    Bob> if it makes the kernel development and pushing upstream
    Bob> easier as long as the database is available in the open and
    Bob> not kept in some private repository, which is not the open
    Bob> source way.

Well the de facto situation today is that ehca and ipath are
maintained in private repositories.

    Bob> I would also like to see all components user and kernel use
    Bob> the same source control tool so that I don't have to install
    Bob> learn and maintain lots of different tools.

I guess I was trying to say that Linus's tree is really the kernel
repository.  Trying to pretend that our kernel drivers are independent
of the kernel leads to a very confusing situation.

I would really like to see people who want to run bleeding-edge stuff
grab something along the lines of
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/snapshots/patch-2.6.17-rc2-git2.bz2
or if they're very brave pull my for-2.6.18 or for-mm tree.  Otherwise
we end up wasting their testing attention on something different from
the upstream kernel.

 - R.