[openib-general] [ANNOUNCE] - Chelsio T3 Git Repositories

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Thu Dec 7 14:09:37 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 13:55 -0800, Woodruff, Robert J wrote:
> Steve Wise wrote,
> >I'm also maintaining a kernel git repository with the various needed
> >patches for running the T3 device at:
>
> >git://staging.openfabrics.org/~swise/cxgb3.git
>
> >This repository is based on Linus's git tree as of 2.6.19.  The cxgb3
> >branch should be checked out to get the latest T3 patches including the
> >low level Ethernet driver.  This repos will eventually go away
> >(hopefully :) as the T3 drivers are pulled into 2.6.20.
>
> It looks like this tree is not based on 2.6.19 for the
> drivers/infiniband/core
> but some other tree. When I do a git-diff of your tree against
> linux-2.6.19
> there are diffs in the drivers/infiniband/core that should not be there.

It is based on 2.6.19.

But it also has sean's ucma patch series (the old 7 part patch
series...I haven't updated to his latest 5-par patch set yet or tried to
use his git tree).  Plus it has an iwcm fix from Krishna Kumar that
fixed bugs I've hit during QA testing.

> I think you need to rebase your tree on a stock linux 2.6.19 and then
> only add
> the cxgb3 code, or have a branch that only contains the cxgb3 code and
> another
> branch that might contain other newer infiniband/core code if you want
> to test with that.

Yea maybe.  For now, you get everything I need to make cxgb3 run on
2.6.19.  I'll think about the multiple branch approach.

> This way, someone can easily do a git-diff of cxgb3 with a stock
> linux-2.6.19 to
> generate a patch that only contains the Chelsio code.

I'm struggling with maintaining a patch series in-review on lklm and
netdev, plus maintaining a consistent tree that I can QA on and not
introduce bugs from other stuff going into 2.6.20. So I don't want to
just base this tree on Roland's for-2.6.20, as an example.  I really
just want 2.6.19 + stuff needed to run chelsio's T3.  Right now, that is
the UCMA stuff + a few core fixes...

Roland, I welcome your thoughts too on how I should do this.  I'm new to
git.  Also I'm using stgit to maintain the chelsio driver patch series,
so I continually pop it and add fixes to each patch as I fix things, so
the tree really is kind of in-flux...

Steve.