[openib-general] Re: We are ready with a Gen2 version of MVAPICH2

Dhabaleswar Panda panda at cse.ohio-state.edu
Sun Jan 8 16:25:59 PST 2006

Hi Roland,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

>     Dhabaleswar> Hi Roland, Hal and Woody, This is to let you know
>     Dhabaleswar> that we are ready with a Gen2 version of MVAPICH2.
>
>     Dhabaleswar> We plan to upload a stripped down version of this new
>     Dhabaleswar> release to the OpenIB SVN at the following location:
>
>     Dhabaleswar> https://openib.org/svn/gen2/trunk/src/userspace/mpi/
>
>     Dhabaleswar> We will create a mvapich2-gen2 directory under the
>     Dhabaleswar> above path and upload the files.
>
> This is exactly where your existing source tree is checked in.  I
> assume you are planning on simply checking in the changes since your
> last update.  If so, that should be fine.

I believe there is a minor confusion here.

We have been continuously updating the mvapich-gen2 version at the
existing location. There is no problem here.

What I am talking about here is the new mvapich2-gen2 (MPI-2) version
we have developed. The existing one at the SVN is the mvapich-gen2
(MPI-1) version. Thus, we will have two directories there (one for
MPI-1 version and the other one for MPI-2 version).

Let me know if this clarifies the situation.

> However, let me reiterate what I said the last time this came up.  The
> openib subversion repository should not be used simply as a
> distribution channel; if you are not using the subversion repository
> as your real source code control system, then I don't think it's
> appropriate to dump code drops in every few months.

Thanks for reiterating the comments. I completely agree with it. As
indicated above, for the existing mvapich-gen2 (MPI-1) version, we
have been using the SVN repository as the real source code control
system (not as the distribution channel) and we plan to continue this
trend. We plan to do the same with the new mvapich2-gen2 (MPI-2)
version with the SVN repository too.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Otherwise, we will
proceed with the check-in of the new MPI-2 version at the above
location under a new directory.

Thanks,

DK