[openib-general] design for communication established affiliated asynchronous event handling

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Fri Jun 16 09:37:39 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 12:31, Sean Hefty wrote:
> Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> > IMO, it would violate the CM state machine and the passive CM transition
> > specification in 12.9.7.2 and have the effect of circumventing the
> > retransmission of REP on lost RTU. Data can't fly until either the RTU
> > or the first data message is received from the other direction.
>
> This moves the QP state to RTS, as opposed to the CEP state to connected.  So I
> don't believe that it violates the spec.

Isn't the CEP the QP (see p. 689 line 7) ?

> A drawback to moving the QP to RTS is that the communication established event
> will not be generated.  This forces us to wait for the RTU to move the CEP to
> connected, or we need to do it upon receiving the first completion.

> The RDMA CM has no knowledge when the latter occurs, so would need user input.

It sounds like I may have been looking at the wrong state but
nonetheless the CEP/QP states are defined there and this would be
different from what is in the spec. I wasn't saying it couldn't be made
to work though. I haven't looked at it enough to know. If it does work,
maybe the spec should get updated to cover this option too.

-- Hal