[openib-general] design for communication established affiliated asynchronous event handling

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Fri Jun 16 09:58:50 PDT 2006

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
>>This moves the QP state to RTS, as opposed to the CEP state to connected.  So I
>>don't believe that it violates the spec.
>

> Isn't the CEP the QP (see p. 689 line 7) ?

Hmm... I was viewing the CEP as moving through the states described in 12.9.5
and 12.9.6.  (Idle, REQ sent, REP wait, etc.)  I see what you're saying now.

> It sounds like I may have been looking at the wrong state but
> nonetheless the CEP/QP states are defined there and this would be
> different from what is in the spec. I wasn't saying it couldn't be made
> to work though. I haven't looked at it enough to know. If it does work,
> maybe the spec should get updated to cover this option too.

What I'd like to find is a way that a user, upon receiving a message, can send a
response.  Today, a user cannot send the response until after they get a
connection established event from the IB CM, and then RDMA CM.  So, it sounds
like even the RDMA CM needs some sort of rdma_establish() call to finish
connecting a QP.

I don't think that iWarp would run into this issue.