[openib-general] Re: SA MultiPathRecord v.PathRecord

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Thu May 4 11:56:19 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 14:38, Sean Hefty wrote:
> Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> >>I'm just trying to determine how an implementation can make use of MPR to
> >>understand the best way to expose it.  The use of MPR over just path records
> >>seems complex.
> >
> > In terms of what ?
>
> To be clear, that wasn't a criticism, just a statement that MPR provides
> additional information to process.

It certainly does have extra information in terms of the request not the
response.

>   If the goal of exposing MPR is just to
> provide disjoint paths for failover purposes, that's a relatively simple task.

Yes, this part/goal is clear.

> If the goal is to select paths to optimize traffic flow across the fabric, it's
> a fairly complex operation,

When there are more paths available than those needed to satify the
request which are returned is implementation dependent as well as what
information is used to decide what paths to return.

>  that I'm not sure we can provide value beyond basic MAD support.

By that do you mean expose the PRs returned ?

-- Hal