[openib-general] RDMA question

Caitlin Bestler caitlinb at broadcom.com
Tue Sep 12 09:31:13 PDT 2006

On 9/12/06, Makia Minich <minich at ornl.gov> wrote:
> I'm looking for some information on whether or not you can set a service
> level for RDMA packets (as a way to start working on a QoS design).

Transport independent QoS is not truly feasible. You'll have to
apply QoS to the underlying transport (IB or IP) using IB or IP
tools and concepts.

You *can* identify one or more transport neutral Classes
of Service, and then have your application layer select
that class of service. But translating the class of service
to actual network controls will always be transport specific.

So the short answer is that you don't set a service level
for RDMA packets, you set a service level for IB or IP
packets that happen to carry RDMA.