[Ofa_boardplus] Agenda for this week's OFA Board meeting - 2 Votable items

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Wed Sep 20 07:46:50 PDT 2023

Intent is to be able to vote on the item itself, not just the wording.  But
the wording is not onerous.  It will likely be as simple as adding this one
liner to the Voting Member level of membership: Access to any
confidential/pre-release documentation in working groups.

An example of how this plays out is that we have industry partnerships with
both SNIA and DMTF.  These orgs do a pre-release review period of their
specs and such where members are allowed to scan the pre-release documents
looking for any specific IP that should not be part of the released spec.
We have access to those pre-release documents as part of our trade
agreement.  These documents are NDA/confidential.  If no restricted IP is
found in the documents prior to release, then they are released as-is and
the IP becomes public.  However, it is possible that accidental inclusion
of non-public IP might exist in those documents.  Since we are granted
access to them, we are obligated to maintain the confidentiality during the
review period, and obligated to maintain the confidentiality of any
information removed prior to public release even after the release.  Of
course, anyone can simply forgo reviewing the documents if they wish to
maintain clean hands and have no confidentiality requirements.  But, the
intent of the amendment is to make access to this information granted at
the voting level and above (if you can't vote in a working group anyway,
then you aren't participating at a level where access to confidential
information makes sense is the logic behind that placement).