[openfabrics-ewg] OpenFabrics Alliance first release and distribution for Linux

Bill Boas bboas at systemfabricworks.com
Tue Apr 4 03:32:53 PDT 2006

Shawn and members of the EWG,

I apologize that I have not yet done the minutes from the last Board Meeting
at which the creation of the EWG was approved and its responsibilities to
the OpenFabrics Alliance also approved unanimously.

I am now preparing the minutes for distribution this week. The next Board
meeting is Wednesday next week for which Jim Ryan will send out the bridge
and agenda.

The working group was asked to propose to the Board a chair for the Board's
approval - I think you are the proposed person and I hope we will receive
the WG's recommendations for its Chair and its proposed strategy and its
commitments to our member companies and customers before the Board meeting
next week. Then I hope the Board will approve what you present.

I would also encourage you to invite Moiz and Doug to join in that portion
of the Boards discussion so that all members may understand how the results
of the EWG work fit into the Linux distribution schedules and contents.

Also I believe your motion to the Board at the last meeting (which was
approved) was that OpenFabrics would have only ONE release and that that
release would temporarily be in the form of a single distribution and that
they would contain identical code (obviously where the components are the
same). There should therefore not be TWO releases as it seems some are
thinking.

In following threads on the EWG it seems this is still being debated.

Hopefully the EWG proposals to the Board next week will clarify this and
allow the Board to unanimously support the group's on-going work.

If there is any misunderstanding here, everyone please comment. If the
suggestions in this email are off-base please say so.

Bill.