[ewg] Version of OFED in RHEL6?

Andy Grover andy.grover at oracle.com
Thu Apr 22 11:21:59 PDT 2010

Roland Dreier wrote:
> Yes, this shows all the unfortunate confusion caused by trying to
> "brand" OFED as something special.  What version of, say, the IP stack
> does RHEL contain?  You don't care, right?  In general, RHEL is going to
> contain version XYZ of the kernel, plus patches A, B, C, along with
> version UVW of libfoo and version MNO of libbar, etc.  The
> InfiniBand/RDMA world shouldn't be special -- the rest of the world
> deals with that just fine, without having to tie RHEL's versioning to
> someone else's distribution.

Very true. So Red Hat isn't going for the Combo Meal any more, they're
ordering a la carte. :) I'd think this is a good sign for how far OFED
has come, but some people are still going to want the OFED package.

Are the canonical upstreams for rpms in OFED listed somewhere? Upstream
kernel is obvious, but it's not clear to me which other packages OFED is
packaging, and which it *is* the upstream for.

If more distros move to the a la carte model for IB-related packages, I
think this is an important distinction to make. For packages where OFED
is not the upstream (again, like the kernel) we'll need to more
aggressively push changes up, since distros will be going there
directly. There are changes that have been in ofa_kernel for more than a
year that have not been pushed up, and now they won't be in RHEL6.

Regards -- Andy